Re: [OctDev] complex error function

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: [OctDev] complex error function
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 16:33:54 -0500

On 4 November 2012 00:34, Steven G. Johnson <address@hidden> wrote:
> There is an updated version of my package
> (http://ab-initio.mit.edu/Faddeeva) which computes not only the Faddeeva
> function (the scaled complex error function) but also the ordinary erf
> and erfc functions of complex arguments, as well as the erfcx and erfi
> variants and the Dawson function (a scaled erfi).
>
> This should make it relatively painless to drop it in as a replacement
> for the Octave erf and erfc functions in order to support complex arguments.

I'm still not sure what to do with this code... It sounds useful,
sure, but you didn't write it for Octave except for a small wrapper.
Since you're trying to overwrite Octave functions, it should go in
Octave core but you also want to provide a bunch of other special
functions, so those should go in the specfun package in OF.

I'm also not sure how committed you are to maintaining this code for
Octave. If this is a one-time code dump and it's up to us to maintain
this code in the future, I'm less inclined to accept it into Octave
core, since it's a relatively rare request. I have never heard of our
users clamouring for the Faddeeva function or its relatives.

What do you think, how committed are you feeling?

- Jordi G. H.