Re: moving Octave Forge mailing list to core's mailman server

From: Daniel J Sebald
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2012 13:00:55 -0600

On 11/23/2012 12:17 PM, Carnë Draug wrote:
Hi everyone

I'm proposing moving the current Octave Forge mailing list
(address@hidden) to the same server as as the ones
from Octave core. My suggestion is to have the following octave
related mailing lists:

* address@hidden - same as now, discussion of development of Octave core
Octave Forge

Wasn't there some discussion about changing the name "forge" because of confusion with SourceForge?

What about Agora?  Should that have it's own mail list?

Octave (packages included)

How much activity does the help list get? What is it primarily for? For newer users needing help with language? Help for compiling? Just asking questions here as a means to review the current situation.

Dan

Note that I'm moving all help stuff to address@hidden, so most of the
Octave Forge threads would now be done in octave help. Their subjects
overlap too much to make sense keep them separated (the only
separation is whether one of the suggestion involves the use of an OF
package). Things such as, "how can I use the butter function to design
a low pass filter?" would now belong to help and not to the forge
mailing list. The new forge mailing list would be for discussion of
forge development issues (the core equivalent to maintainers).

Another reason I propose this change is that octave-dev is misleading,
specially for people submitting stuff from Nabble who see the
following http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Octave-f1599824.subapps.html
when starting a new thread. If we would make a change to fix this, it
would force subscribers having to subscribe again and maybe change
mail client settings. We might as well propose a better arrangement.

Other reasons:
* some e-mails are sent for more than one mailing list. If the same
mailman server is handling them, this should prevent people from
receiving 2 e-mails with the same subject.
* at the bottom of each e-mail from the Octave Forge mailing list
there's a add (some longer than others). This move would remove them
since they are added by SourceForge and we have no control over it.

How I propose to do the merging: if no one opposes to this, move all
current subscribers of the Octave Forge mailing list, to both forge
and help (this can be done automatically, subscribers should only
receive an e-mail to confirm). Those who were on it for the help can
unsubscribe from forge, and those who were on it for the development
can unsubscribe from help. I'll send an e-mail to the mailing list
when such change takes place with instructions on how to unsubscribe
(and also suggest to instead change configuration to receive a daily
digest of the other rather than unsubscribe because there's too many
individual e-mails).

Carnë