Re: classdef development

From: Richard Crozier
Subject: Re: classdef development
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2012 13:23:16 +0000

On 17/12/2012 13:07, Danilo Zanatta wrote:
On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 11:39 AM, Серёжа Плотников
<address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:

    Dear maintainers,

    Could you please say me how far you are from having usable (or at
    least testable) matlab-like class system (classdef)? Is it possible
    to be involved into testing process?

    The thing is that I'm about to rewrite some free toolbox which was
    written for matlab so that it can work under Octave.

    Best regards,
    Sergey

I'm also very interested in having this functionality.

I could also help in the testing process.

Regards,
Danilo

I am not one of the core developers, and I am not working on classdef, but I have gathered some info on this.

classdef is (AFAIK) far from completion and is a large task that requires excellent C++, a deep knowledge of the Octave interpreter and interpreters in general, and considerable time to develop (see http://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_Project_Ideas#Implement_classdef_classes). The classdef syntax has been created, i.e. the interpreter can recognise it, but it is not actually attached to anything.

It doesn't help that Matlab does not have a language spec as such.

If anyone has means to provide money for the development time, it will happen a lot faster (this is how the old-style classes got implemented I think), but otherwise will take some time.

Richard

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.