Re: Matlab-style code in test/classes

From: Julien Bect
Subject: Re: Matlab-style code in test/classes
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 23:59:56 -0800 (PST)

Robert T. Short wrote
> On 01/28/2013 01:50 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:
>> On Jan 28, 2013, at 1:51 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
>>
>>> Does the Matlab-style code in test/classes have to stay? We don't
>>> generally make this concession elsewhere in Octave. Why do we do it
>>> here?
>> I assume the Matlab-style syntax decision was done to make it convenient
>> to run the tests in Matlab and ensure Octave's implementation is
>> compatible?  I don't know if we need to  continue with that approach, but
>> it is very useful in the beginning.
>>
>> For example, I've been playing with the classdef branch.  Which still
>> lacks many features.  I've taken to using Matlab syntax so that I may
>> verify when I'm doing something wrong and when a feature is absent.
>>
>> Ben
>>

> That is exactly why I did it.  I agree that it doesn't need to stay, but
> I was trying to validate compatibility as well as testing octave - all
> the while trying to include inheritance into octave.
>
> Bob

In my humble opinion: it's better if it stays, if you want to maintain
compatibility in the long run, when both Octave and Matlab will keep on
evolving.

This is why I decided to avoid two- or three-arguments assert() calls when
writing patch #7993 (https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?7934)... which is what
triggered Jordi's question in the first place ;-)

Julien