Re: Preserving signbit for range operator

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: Preserving signbit for range operator
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 20:51:12 -0600

On 02/27/2013 08:06 PM, Rik wrote:
On 02/27/2013 05:55 PM, Daniel J Sebald wrote:

I will have to check, but I don't think we are using the integer format
code '%d' when we print integers.  Instead, I think we are printing them as
floats with the width of the decimal portion set to zero.

For example,
x = [-0 2 4];
sprintf ("%4.0f ", x)
ans =   -0    2    4

Well, then this case is in error:

octave:55>   [-0:3:6]
ans =

     0   3   6

This is the original error all over again [-0:3:6] produces the actual
sequence [0 3 6] which is correctly displayed as [0 3 6].

Sure, depending upon how we feel it should be treated. But we know there are at least two errors. One which I think at least a couple of us agree should be happening internally; a second which we are so sure about.

The problem might be that Octave is not displaying/casting integers the way Matlab is, i.e., this statements from your last post might be how Octave does things but might not be (as in I don't know) consistent with Matlab.

I will have to check, but I don't think we are using the integer format
code '%d' when we print integers.  Instead, I think we are printing them as
floats with the width of the decimal portion set to zero.

By the way, from "help format",

     By default, Octave displays 5 significant digits in a human
     readable form (option `short' paired with `loose' format for
     matrices).  If `format' is invoked without any options, this
     default format is restored.

Shouldn't that be "5 significant fractional digits", or "5 significant digits past the decimal point"? E.g.,

octave:44> y = [-0 2 345.00001]
y =

    -0.00000     2.00000   345.00001

Dan