Re: GUI no longer building by default

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: GUI no longer building by default
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2013 12:05:18 -0500

On 03/16/2013 03:23 AM, John W. Eaton wrote:
On 03/16/2013 04:02 AM, Torsten wrote:
On 16.03.2013 06:38, Daniel J Sebald wrote:
On 03/16/2013 12:30 AM, Daniel J Sebald wrote:

similar to the following existing loop inside the configure script

for ac_prog in moc-qt5 moc-qt4 moc

BTW, should the "moc" come first? I.e.,

for ac_prog in moc moc-qt5 moc-qt4

What that would allow is for the system to define a symbolic link "moc"
to either "moc-qt5" or "moc-qt4". Or is that a bad thing to do?

Nice idea, but the order used so far makes sure the newest qt-version is
found. If we want to allow symbolic links to tools of the desired
qt-version I would suggest to introduce a name that is not used by qt
itself, i.e.

for ac_prog in octave-moc moc-qt5 moc-qt4 moc

Then, octave-moc is the name of the link to the qt-version to use.

Instead of doing that, I'd recommend adding a --with-moc=... configure
option as that is much more in the sprit of autoconf than encouraging
people to create symbolic links in the filesystem.

That's fine with me, but it seems to be a whole suite of tools with the -qt5 and -qt4 qualifiers. It could be there is something significantly different between qt4 and qt5, but typically systems (ultimately the utility programmers, i.e., authors of Qt) don't make a version number as part of executable files.

Torsten's recent fix brings the GUI back into the "configure". To look first for version 5 and then version 4 seems the best one can do if in fact the system assigns distinct names for the different utility versions.

Dan