Re: Continuation lines

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Continuation lines
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2013 11:28:34 -0400

On 04/03/2013 11:04 AM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:

Yes, I was thinking of this case:

    [1, 2\
     3, 4]

You can't really replace that backslash with anything but the
ellipses.

OK.  I guess I'm wondering whether it is really a big advantage to
have two different types of continuation markers.

Why, because of the left division ambiguity? If that's the reason, I
still don't think this ambiguity has ever caused problems. If the
reason is so that \ behaves exactly like ..., then I can agree, but
I'm happy with the slight discrepancy here, as long as you don't see
other problems with it.

No, I don't think there is a problem other than the duplication and
that's not a huge problem.

I'm proposing to eliminate comments after \ just to simplify the
lexer.  There don't seem to be any uses of this feature in the .m
files in Octave.  There are some in Octave Forge .m files, but I only
see one file where the continuation markers actually needed (the
others are inside parens).

But either way, I think we should make ... work as in Matlab, which
means allowing arbitrary text to follow it but not allowing it as a
continuation marker inside character strings.  I guess we can start
there.

Agreed.

OK, I think I can do that without too much trouble.