Re: Connecting Octave to the GUI

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Connecting Octave to the GUI
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2013 00:39:02 -0400

On 04/04/2013 12:02 AM, Daniel J Sebald wrote:
On 04/03/2013 10:35 PM, Daniel J Sebald wrote:

I've compiled and I'm coming up to speed on this. I can crash by setting
a breakpoint in a file in the current directory. When the debugger stops
at that point, I then do a "cd ../<someotherdirectory>" then try to
continue. That file has gone out of scope of course.

I've noticed that any breakpoints that are set in a file that goes out
of scope because of a "cd" are lost. That info will have to be sent over
to the GUI somehow, either as clear all breakpoints for a particular
file or individually clear breakpoints. I see that right now the GUI
retains the red dots even though Octave currently won't break there
again even if the function in the file is run after returning to scope.

However, I wonder why the breakpoints can't be retained and reactivated
if the function comes back into scope. Is it that if one changes
directory there could be another function of the same name which will
confuse the core? The thing is, it would be pretty easy for a GUI user
to change directory without being cognizant and breakpoints will be
lost. It would be nice if the red dots faded to a translucent color when
the file goes out of scope, then come back to solid red if the file
comes back into scope.

I'm not seeing that behavior.  Using the function

  function f ()
    persistent x = 1;
    x++
  end

That is in the current directory, if I set a breakpoint in f and then
run it, debugging seems to work.  Then if I cd .. and then back to the
location of f, the debugger still stops on my breakpoint and I see
that x is not reset, so the function was not parsed again.

If that's not working for you, can you give me a precise test case
that demonstrates the problem?