Re: Re: gsoc2013 octave audio system

From: Pantxo Diribarne
Subject: Re: Re: gsoc2013 octave audio system
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 22:52:29 +0200

Le 15/04/2013 17:17, Vytautas Jancauskas a écrit :
I see the current playaudio function merely calls paplay. I take it the project would involve creating a C extension? I am thinking maybe a simple http://www.music.mcgill.ca/~gary/rtaudio/ playback demonstration would be a good thing to add to the proposal?

To me, the project involves :
  • choosing an open source, cross platform library that handles at least synchronous recording and playback.
  • packaging the necessary functions into an octave class
  • writing the ML compatible interfaces  to the audiorecorder, audioplayer classes and play/record ... methods.
Among  the candidate libraries :
  • rtaudio (native c++): (+) seams easy to learn (-) not much active.
  • portaudio (c with c++ binding): (+) widely used and active, (-) c++ binding is not as well documented as native c.
  • Qt's multimedia classes (native c++): (+) Qt, as octave's GUI, (-) not as low-level as above mentioned (but maybe enough)
For packaging in an octave class there are examples in octave-forge (see e.g. serial_class in the instrument-control package). The resulting octave_audio class could then be used to write the interface to core audiorecorder and audioplayer classes.

Pantxo