Re: opening unknown file types in external applications

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: opening unknown file types in external applications
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 17:51:14 -0400

On 04/23/2013 05:27 PM, Michael Goffioul wrote:
On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 5:06 PM, John W. Eaton <address@hidden
<mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:

    On 04/23/2013 02:58 PM, Torsten wrote:

        This one should do the job:

        QDesktopServices::openUrl (
             QUrl::fromLocalFile ( const QString&  localFile )
        );

    OK, that works great to open files with their default applications,
    but what's the best way to recognize the files that should be opened
    in the Octave GUI's built-in editor?

    I don't see a general way to override the default editor or disable
    editing of text files so that openURL will return some kind of "sorry,
    I don't know how to open that file" status so that we can handle them
    internally in Octave.  So it seems that we need to recognize the files
    we want to handle first, then call openURL.  But nothing that I can
    think of (lists of filename patterns, binary vs. ASCII text, the Unix
    file program) really seems like a complete or reliable solution.

I suppose one "integrated" way to do it could be:
1) support running octave as "octave -edit file.m": this would either
connect to an existing instance of octave and open the file in that
instance, or start a new octave instance
2) define a .desktop file to handle m-files

Maybe. But really, I was sort of looking for a bit simpler solution than "connecting to an existing instance of Octave". That sounds like it would require some fairly significant changes that I'm not terribly excited about trying to implement at the moment.