Saving/Loading figures

From: Pantxo Diribarne
Subject: Saving/Loading figures
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 11:49:24 +0200

Hello,

I would like Octave to be able to save and load figures. It is currently possible to save a figure in the form of a structure using hdl2struct (an "restore" using struct2hdl) but there are problems with that method that I would like to overcome:
  • the way legends, colorbars and special axes children (labels and title) are stored is not Matlab compatible.
  • struct2hdl does not use high level functions to restore objects, so that you do not obtain a usable figure : legends/colorbars become simple axes, and object listeners are forgotten.
For the first point I can modify hdl2struct.m so that it produces ML compatible structures. Then modifying struct2hdl.m wil make it able to restore Octave and ML figure structures. If you are ok with that I'll open a public repository where I will make the modifications and submit them all at once in the end.

About the second point it seems that ML stores enough informations in the figure objects (in ApplicationData field) to be able to recreate it using high level functions.  Shouldn't we have all the high level functions such as "plot, bar, contour..." write ApplicationData like ML does?

Pantxo