Re: Wavelet Denoising toolbox.

From: Peter L. Søndergaard
Subject: Re: Wavelet Denoising toolbox.
Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 17:28:18 +0200

On 29-05-2013 15:59, Juan Pablo Carbajal wrote:
On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 3:38 PM, Peter L. Soendergaard
<address@hidden> wrote:
On 05/29/2013 03:17 PM, Juan Pablo Carbajal wrote:
On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 9:14 AM, Peter L. Soendergaard
<address@hidden> wrote:
Perhaps we can somehow coordinate so we avoid a duplication of efforts
That sounds good, I hope you can do that.

btw, it would be better if you provided a proper Octave package of
your toolbox. What are the chances of doing that?
That depends on how much needs to be done. Some issues:

1) The main thing is the documentation, I cannot convert that to Octaves
format, too much work has gone into structuring that nicely in another
format (reStructuredText), and I would like to keep it in that format.
Currently LTFAT comes in at around 300 functions, with a 180 page manual,
http://ltfat.sourceforge.net/doc/ltfat.pdf

2) LTFAT is itself structured into directories, so it is already a
collection of small "packages".

3) LTFAT is hosted on Sourceforge it a Git repository, and I would like it
to stay there, as I can easily control who has write access, for instance if
a ph.d. student needs to submit or cleanup a few files.

If we can just create a package specification file that installs the whole
toolbox, it would probably be doable, but I don't know if that is acceptable
for Octave forge, or if LTFAT becomes to "alien" compared to the rest of the
website.

I might be able to create a script that converts reStructuredText to
texinfo. Does texinfo supports Latex formulas, images and citations? If so,
I can convert the TeX output. If not, I can convert the text output.

btw.: We will be at the OctConf (just not registered yet).

Cheers,
Peter.

Great, we can discuss more details in the Conference then.
I would worry the least about the documentation. Of course that could
be a long term issue but I see no point, given that there is a manual,
on investing time on just changing the its format.

What would be really cool is to give the package the PKG_* scripts,
NEWS and DESCRIPTION files needed by pkg to install the package
directly form the Octave prompt. This will also open the door of
Debian to LTFAT. We should try to see how much work does this imply.
The only issue I can foresee is the heavy mex dependence (Do you know
this could be interfaced naturally with Octave, without the need to go
through mex?).
The rest seems like the work of an afternoon, but I tend to be over
optimistic on these matters.
We already have .oct interfaces for everything, so there is no mex issue. Internally, the LTFAT C code use the same convention for complex numbers , so the Octave interfaces are cleaner and more efficient than the Matlab interfaces.

We have a simple build system just using several different makefiles, have a look here:

http://sourceforge.net/p/ltfat/code/ci/master/tree/

The Octave interfaces are in /oct
The Makefile for the C backend is src/Makefile_unix
The Makefile for the oct interfaces is oct/Makefile_unix

There are also mingw makefiles for Windows 64 bit and mac makefiles for max 64 bit.

Cheers,
Peter.