Re: Google Summer of Code - LaTeX processing

From: Patrick Noffke
Subject: Re: Google Summer of Code - LaTeX processing
Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 11:19:22 -0500

On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 11:20 AM, John Swensen <address@hidden> wrote:
A long time ago in 2008, I had spent just a few days looking at the problem you will be working on for GSoC. Here is a discussion about what I did on the mailing list archive:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.octave.maintainers/11892/focus=11911

Your solution probably will end up being a lot better (seeing that you have a summer to work on it), but I simply tried to use
mimeTeX (http://www.forkosh.com/mimetex.html)
and
mathTeX (http://www.forkosh.com/mathtex.html)
to generate rasterized version of small LaTeX statements.

For the life of me, I can't find my old code, but maybe this is a decent starting point. mimeTeX is a pretty limited implemenation of a LaTeX parse and doesn't use the standard fonts. mathTeX, on the other hand, uses an underlying LaTeX installation to generate the image of the _expression_ and crop it accordingly. I had also just tried to do my own calls to generate a PDF page, use pdfcrop, then convert to a raster, but mathTeX was doing something that made it much, much faster (e.g 200 per second).

Hope this helps you get started, and I am looking forward to having TeX support in plot text objects!

John Swensen

Thanks, John, that is very helpful background info.

Patrick