Re: builing on OSX 10.8

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: builing on OSX 10.8
Date: Sun, 02 Jun 2013 08:28:00 +0800

On Jun 2, 2013, at 12:47 AM, c. wrote:

> On 1 Jun 2013, at 12:18, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Ben,
> Thank you very much.
>
>> I'm not yet running MacOS 10.8, but, I recently had an exchange of emails
>> with Michael Dickens who is responsible for maintaining Octave's portfile.
>> Michael is running MacOS 10.8.  He used the attached portile to build Octave
>> 3.6.4.  Since he did some testing of accelerate and atlas, I expect you can
>> find what you need to build Octave there.
>>
>> I notice you're using Accelerate
>>
>>>  --with-lapack="-ldotwrp -Wl,-framework -Wl,Accelerate" \
>>>  --with-blas="-ldotwrp -Wl,-framework -Wl,Accelerate"   \
>>
>> However, I recommend you avoid accelerate as a make check will seg-fault.
>> On MacOS 10.7, I don't get a seg-fault, but do encounter several test
>> failures (except for tight tolerances, all pass using atlas).
>>
>> src/DLD-FUNCTIONS/eigs.cc ..............................panic: Segmentation
>> fault: 11 -- stopping myself...
>> make[1]: *** [check] Segmentation fault: 11
>> make: *** [check] Error 2
>
> Actually the Accelerate version was working without crashes until yesterday
> when I upgraded
> maports packages, I wonder what has changed ...
>
> anyway if I can't fix the Accelerate-based build I'll switch to atlas.
>
>> Ben
>
> Thanks again,
> c.

hmm ... looking at your prior email, I see veclib is there twice
"-Wl,-framework -Wl,Accelerate -Wl,-framework -Wl,Accelerate " AND atlas is
there once "-lcblas -lf77blas -latlas".  If you want to use the accelerate
framework, you shouldn't be linking to atlas.

Also its a good idea to avoid atlas for the dependencies.  You can check all of
Octave's dependencies by ....

        port rdeps octave-devel

Perhaps if accelerate is used uniformly, there will be no seg-fault?

Ben