Re: Workspace dialog on MacOS X

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: Workspace dialog on MacOS X
Date: Sun, 09 Jun 2013 22:05:56 -0500

On 06/09/2013 08:36 PM, Abbott, Ben wrote:

On Jun 10, 2013, at 6:59 AM, Ben Abbott wrote:

 On Jun 9, 2013, at 10:43 PM, Torsten wrote:

> On 09.06.2013 14:56, Ben Abbott wrote:
>
>> Torsten,
>>
>> I have no idea why the workspace colors is squished on MacOS X. Do they
>> render correctly on Ubuntu? Any idea how to fix this? My only guess is
>> that the spacing of the contents of the widget aren't inheriting the
>> settings of their parent (the parent appears to have its layout spacing
>> set to -1, so I'd expect a reasonable result) , but as I'm barely
>> literate in c++, I'm unable to confirm.
>
> Could you please try the attached patch?
>
> Torsten

 No change for me. In case it may provide a hint, the "Editor Styles"
tab looks great on MacOS X.

 Ben

Using Qt Designer, I copied some of the features of the "Editor Styles"
layout. The result looks quite good now. I assume the spacing between
columns is coded in c++, and will need to be adjusted there. Iv'e
attached a diff for what I changed.

I think you've solved the problem. The major change I see is that you added plenty of room with a vertical spacer to fill the void. I have noticed in some of the manual layout I did with ui dialog boxes that the vertical spacer will clear up odd things. I would attribute this one to a bug in Qt for your particular system. The spacer is the way to go, I suspect.

Why the following change, though?  Did that slip in by accident?

+          <property name="font">
+           <font>
+            <pointsize>13</pointsize>
+            <kerning>true</kerning>
+           </font>
+          </property>

Let's try to avoid font modifications unless necessary. Kerning may actually be on by default. I think one can just delete those in a text editor. Or one can used Qt Designer by going to the object that applies to and find the bold attributes then look for the tiny revert button to the far right which will effectively do the same thing, i.e., delete those lines.

Spacing between columns is done by Qt.  Looks nice to me.

Dan