Re: Workspace dialog on MacOS X

From: Torsten
Subject: Re: Workspace dialog on MacOS X
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 19:33:23 +0200

On 12.06.2013 07:38, Daniel J Sebald wrote:
> On 06/11/2013 08:21 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:
>> On Jun 11, 2013, at 02:54 PM, Daniel J Sebald <address@hidden>
>> wrote:
> [snip]
>>> Like it. I made some C++ changes... Torsten just reviewed. All set then.
>> On MacOS X, the c++ modifications changed the Terminal and Workspace
>> tabs (see the attached png's). I fired up VBOX to see what Ubuntu 12
>> looked like, and discovered the results there are quite different than
>> MacOS X.
>
> The MacOS screenshot looks super.  I thought the small color picker
> boxes and tighter packing looked better than the long ones.  The smaller
> boxes look just about the same size as the similar CPU key markers in
> Gnome's System Monitor.
>
> The Ubuntu example looks like the pre-changeset format.
>

>> To simplify maintaining consistency across tabs and platforms,would it
>> be preferable to let Qt handle the vertical and horizontal spacing (i.e.
>> backout the c++ changes and make any necessary modifications in Qt
>> Designer).
>
> Sure, but I assumed Torsten set it up that way so the number of items
> with color could be changed without having to go back to Qt Designer.

Four reasons why I used c++ instead of Qt designer for some dialog elements:

1. I started with the editor-styles where different lexers have a
different number of styles. They can automatically be read from the
lexer including descriptions and all related settings. Creating the
dialog elements for all those settings in the designer is quite some
work and hard to maintain (new styles, new lexers, ...).

2. The color picker is a custom widget and I found no easy way to place
a custom widget in the designer (but maybe I have not looked accurately).

3. It is easier to track changes in c++ code than in ui-files.

4. I think the danger to make unintended changes to qt default values
for spacings, sizes, etc. is not higher using c++ routines. From there,
I am not sure which way is better for maintaining the consistency across
platforms.

Torsten