RE: Fixed [Re: MXE: qt error with native build]

From: John D
Subject: RE: Fixed [Re: MXE: qt error with native build]
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 07:56:21 -0400

From: Michael Goffioul [mailto:address@hidden
Sent: Friday, June 21, 2013 7:17 AM
To: Philip Nienhuis
Cc: John D; John W. Eaton; Octave Maintainers List

On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 7:14 AM, Michael Goffioul <address@hidden> wrote:

On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 7:06 AM, Philip Nienhuis <address@hidden> wrote:

Michael Goffioul wrote:

On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 6:53 AM, John D <address@hidden
<mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:

    __ __

    *From:* Michael Goffioul [mailto:address@hidden
    <mailto:address@hidden>]
    *Sent:* Friday, June 21, 2013 6:44 AM
    *To:* Philip Nienhuis
    *Cc:* John D; John W. Eaton; Octave Maintainers List
    On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 4:56 AM, Philip Nienhuis
    <address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:____

        Of course there are some remaining things:

        - Octave starts off with a "-K>>" prompt (JD I think you
        mentioned this) and no blinking cursor (bug #39259)____

    Do you start octave from the MSYS shell?____

    If you do, try to unset TERM variable, like: TERM= octave.exe

<JD:>

    Unsetting term works for me____

The problem is that octave inherits TERM from the shell, I think it's
set to something like cygwin or rxvt (I don't remember). And readline
then starts sending control sequences that are not understood by the
windows terminal.

The -[K>> prompt doesn't appear in octave-cli. It's only an issue in the GUI command window (and only before the first command is entered.)

Does that still fit the picture?

When you run octave-cli, you're running it inside the MSYS shell, which is able to interpret "cygwin" terminal control sequence (hence it defines TERM=cygwin).

Michael.

Unsetting the term variable also fixes the line edit/refresh issues that I was seeing in the terminal window.