Re: statistics 1.2.1 released

From: Arno Onken
Subject: Re: statistics 1.2.1 released
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 15:52:08 +0200

On 29.07.2013 02:27, Alexander Hansen wrote:
> On 7/25/13 10:38 PM, Lukas Reichlin wrote:
>> On 26.07.2013, at 07:25, Carnë Draug <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> You're still using TexInfo 5 correct? Do you get those warnings when
>>> getting the help text for dendogram and hist3? If so, this a problem
>>> that only appears with the new TexInfo when deftypefnx is used in the
>>> middle of the help text.
>>>
>>> My understanding is that this type of usage of deftypefnx should be
>>> avoided in first place. When it can't, then the solution is to end
>>> deftypefn first. See the gallery function [1] in octave core for an
>>> example where that is done.
>>>
>>> Carnë
>>>
>>> [1]
>>> http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/default/scripts/special-matrix/gallery.m
>>>

>> Yes, I'm using TexInfo 5. It is installed by the Fink package manager
>> on OS X 10.8, so I don't know an easy way to downgrade to TexInfo 4.
>>
>> octave:5> pkg load statistics
>> warning: function /Users/lukas/octave/statistics-1.2.1/fstat.m shadows
>> a core library function
>> octave:6> help dendogram
>> /var/tmp/octave-help-1XJiUE:7: must be after address@hidden' to use
>> address@hidden'
>> /var/tmp/octave-help-1XJiUE:12: must be after address@hidden' to use
>> address@hidden'
>> 'dendogram' is a function from the file
>> /Users/lukas/octave/statistics-1.2.1/dendogram.m
>>
>>   -- Function File: P = dendogram (TREE)
>>       Plots a dendogram using the output of function 'linkage'.
>>
>>   -- Function File: P, T = dendogram (TREE)
>>       Plots the dendrogram and returns a vector t of containing the leaf
>>       node number for each object in the original dataset.  For now, all
>>       objects are leaf nodes.
>>
>>   -- Function File: P, T, PERM = dendogram (TREE)
>>       Plots the dendrogram, and returns the permutation of the input
>>       objects used to display the dendrogram, in left-to-right order.
>>
>>       TODO: Return handle to lines to set properties TODO: Rescale the
>>       plot automatically base don data.
>>
>>       See also: linkage
>>

>> Additional help for built-in functions and operators is
>> available in the online version of the manual.  Use the command
>> 'doc <topic>' to search the manual index.
>>
>> Help and information about Octave is also available on the WWW
>> at http://www.octave.org and via the address@hidden
>> mailing list.
>> octave:7> help hist3
>> /var/tmp/octave-help-pOfq2G:8: must be after address@hidden' to use
>> address@hidden'
>> /var/tmp/octave-help-pOfq2G:14: must be after address@hidden' to use
>> address@hidden'
>> /var/tmp/octave-help-pOfq2G:20: must be after address@hidden' to use
>> address@hidden'
>> /var/tmp/octave-help-pOfq2G:24: must be after address@hidden' to use
>> address@hidden'
>> /var/tmp/octave-help-pOfq2G:28: must be after address@hidden' to use
>> address@hidden'
>> 'hist3' is a function from the file
> [...]

I'm also sorry for the late reply.

When I tested the 1.2.1 release I still had texinfo-4 on my system and
didn't know about problems with texinfo-5. I updated my texinfo
installation and restructured the documentation of dendogram and hist3.
The changes are packaged in a new release of the statistics package:
version 1.2.2. For that version the installation should now work
flawlessly without any need for a texinfo-legacy fallback option.

Arno