Re: Release Plans

From: Michael D. Godfrey
Subject: Re: Release Plans
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 13:58:43 -0400

On 09/26/2013 01:27 PM, Rik wrote:
That said, we have an enormous backlog of good features which need to get
out.  I always thought that we were going to do an intermediate 3.8 release
anyways so I will put that forward again.  Why not do a quick release now,
which still treats the GUI as experimental, and a 4.0 release whenever
JHandles have been incorporated?

--Rik
I very much agree that releasing "buggy" software is a very bad idea. But, frequent releases do not need to imply "buggy." In fact, it is my experience that frequent releases are key to effective bug reduction. A long period between releases means that latent bugs hang around and are only caught after the release. These are hard to resolve since the code containing the bug may have been written, and believed to
be correct, a log time ago.  Users find bugs that testing never catches.

In my previous email I think I suggested that the GUI, as it is now, should not be the default, and, as Rik says, should be described as "experimental." I also think that the JIT should be compiled in but be default off. I have used it quite a lot in the context of mixed complex and real arrays and have used the loop-length parameter to set the minimum loop to a low value. My experience is that it all works correctly, and that a low loop value does not add significant overhead. All the same, JIT has not had sufficient
exposure to justify having it on by default.

So, I agree with Rik. An "immediate" release is a VERY good idea and calling it 3.8 saves the level 4.0 for the "big" release of the completed GUI. As part of the 3.8 release users should be strongly encouraged to try the GUI and report their experience, both bugs and ease-of-use items. So, the next steps are, obviously, a feature freeze date and a blocking bug list. I would prefer the freeze date to be something like 2 weeks away, or even now. I am aware of only a few items that need clean up before
the freeze and start of release candidate releases.

Michael