Re: Octave binary naming

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Octave binary naming
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2013 11:52:20 -0400

On Fri, 2013-10-04 at 19:35 +0400, Dmitry Roshchin wrote:

> I want to split octave packages to "octave" (for terminal usage) and "octave-
> gui" (for users who want GUI). But in this case it's more logical to have
> "octave" binary instead of "octave-cli" for backward compatibility and
> "octave-gui". Are there any reasons for current naming?

The reasons is that octave should by default be linked to a GUI, and
the Octave binary can also be GUI-less if you pass it the --no-gui
option.

The only reason octave-cli exists is so that you can have a binary
that isn't linking to Qt, if for some reason you really don't want to
have the Qt libraries in memory when running Octave.

I recommend you keep the existing naming scheme and don't rename
"/usr/bin/octave" to "/usr/bin/octave-gui".

HTH,
- Jordi G. H.