Re: missing icons

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: missing icons
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2013 17:48:21 -0400

On Fri, Oct 4, 2013 at 4:49 PM, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
There seem to be many missing icons in the GUI.  Can someone help me
understand how Qt icons are supposed to work?  For example, in the
terminal_dock_widget constructor in
libgui/src/terminal-dock-widget.cc, we currently have

  setWindowIcon (QIcon(":/actions/icons/logo.png"));

I think this is supposed to refer to the Octave logo.png file in
libgnu/src/icons/logo.png, but the terminal dock widget doesn't
display any icon for the window icon position on my system.

Similarly, the code that sets up the context menu that is defined for
the terminal window in QTerminal.h appears to add icons to the menu
but those are also not showing up on my system.

Is it just me, or is this not working properly for others as well?

What does /actions/ mean in the name that is passed to QIcon?

The ':' character means this corresponds to an entry in the resource file (libgui/src/resource.qrc). Each resource is identified by its path, which typically corresponds to the path of original (image) file that got embedded into the resource. It's also possible to add a prefix to the resource paths, creating kinda of virtual/namespaced paths in the resource. See libgui/src/resource.qrc and you'll see what I mean.

Michael.