Re: Building/installing Octave as a non-administrator on a sudo system

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: Building/installing Octave as a non-administrator on a sudo system
Date: Sat, 05 Oct 2013 19:31:14 -0500

On 10/05/2013 03:13 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:
On 10/05/2013 01:05 PM, Daniel J Sebald wrote:

 Given trends, I've now had the experience of working on a sudo-linux
 system.

I don't know what "trends" you are talking about or what you mean by
"sudo-linux system".

 Things seemed to build fine. And I could run. Installing packages didn't
 go well, however. The complaint from "pkg" command was that there is no
 "mkoctfile".

Did you install Octave, or were you trying to build packages when
running Octave in the build directory with the ./run-octave script?

I attempted package installation from ./run-octave.

If you installed Octave, then the mkoctfile script corresponding to the
version of Octave that you built and installed should have also been
installed in the same directory as the octave binary. And then the pkg
command should have found that mkoctfile script.

If you tried to build a package with mkoctfile when running Octave from
the build tree with the ./run-octave script, then that is not currently
expected to work.

Right. I suppose rather than just "make install", one needs to configure the build with:

./configure --prefix='/home/<account>/bin'

I will try that when I get a chance.

Dan