Re: Octave on Android

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Octave on Android
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 08:59:57 -0400

On Oct 22, 2013, at 8:44 AM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:

> On Tue, 2013-10-22 at 10:56 +0200, Thomas Treichl wrote:
>>  On the subject of OdePkg (which I developed mainly myself for many
>> many many hours) I already informed Google Play Store that -from my
>> point of view- you clearly violate the GPL.
>
> What is the GPL violation? Corbin's source code is available here:
>
>    https://github.com/corbinlc/octave4android
>
> If you are offended by his request for a donation, you are free to
> undo it:
>

> https://github.com/corbinlc/octave4android/blob/master/octave/src/com/octave/octaveMain.java#L377
>
> It is not a GPL violation to charge money for distribution. In fact, I
> encourage anyone who redistributes Octave to do so, and I specifically
> recommended to Corbin that he should take the opportunity to charge
> for it, since this is such a convenient distribution mechanism.
>
> - Jordi G. H.

Jordi,

Thomas provided MacOS X binaries for several years and also made the scripts
needed to produce the bundles available on sourceforge.  My impression is that
he is familiar with the terms of the GPL.

I expect Thomas was unaware that Corbin's source code was available.

I assume it wasn't your intent, but the tone of your email strikes me as
disrespectful and argumentative.  I don't think Thomas email deserved such a
response.

Ben