Re: Problems with the Windows build

From: Torsten
Subject: Re: Problems with the Windows build
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2013 23:29:09 +0100

On 28.10.2013 07:52, John W. Eaton wrote:
> [I also posted the following information to the bug #40381 (the PATH
> setting was suggested in one of the comments in that report).  --jwe]
>
> I tried building current Octave (hg id = 8b353af4a1ca) with mxe-octave
> (hg id = e7cb2340feff+; changes only in the version number and sha1sum
> for the Octave tar file that I generated).
>
> When I copy the resulting binary to my Windows 7 system and run
> __run_test_suite__, it fails a number of tests, some with a message
> about not finding makeinfo not recognized as an internal or external
> command, operable program, or batch file. But system ("makeinfo
> --version") displays the makeinfo version info as expected.
>
> This message doesn't show up until later in the tests, so I thought
> maybe we were accumulating open files or something similar that was
> preventing Octave from opening program files to run. So I tried
> running only the fixed tests, but that doesn't seem to avoid the
> problem.
>
> Then I tried running Octave from inside an msys terminal window after
> setting PATH as suggested and it crashes with a segfault in the fsolve
> test.
>
> I'm also noticing a number of times when the GUI appears to hang and I
> get a spinning cursor. It usually comes back after 5-10 (or maybe
> more) seconds, but I have no idea what is going on during the delay.
>
> Ugh, we can't release like this...

I only had little time for testing the recent mxe build on windows. I
also encountered one makeinfo message but also the following:

1. The first start ended in an endless loop where the welcome wizard was
shown again and again. The default settings file was not copied to
.config/octave/

2. "edit foo.m" or "edit foo.cc" (files not existing) failed to create
the files. "edit foo.txt" creates the file in the (gui) editor.

3. Selecting a directory in the combo box of the current directory or
going up by the arrow right to the combo box leads to an error message
without changing the directory (sorry I can't remember the message and
havn't wrote it down).

I suppose 1. and 2. are related to the problem with OCTAVE_HOME?

Torsten