Re: Editor in GUI

From: Torsten
Subject: Re: Editor in GUI
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 06:54:57 +0100

On 14.11.2013 04:04, Rik wrote:
> On 11/13/2013 06:18 PM, address@hidden wrote:
>> Message: 2
>> Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 21:12:20 -0500
>> From: Doug Stewart <address@hidden>
>> To: Octave Maintainers List <address@hidden>
>> Subject: GUI Edit
>>
>> I think I have found a bug, and would like some one to confirm what I am
>> seeing.
>> I did a fresh compile today  hg id   b602014eeb54 tip @
>> I am using Ubuntu 12.04
>>
>> In the setting for the editor I have.
>> [image: Inline image 1]
>>
>> If I try and start a new file it open up a gedit window: this is good.
>>
>> when I try
>>
>> edit get all
>> ans =
>>
>>   scalar structure containing the fields:
>>
>>     EDITOR = emacs %s
>>     HOME = /home/doug/octave
>>     AUTHOR = doug
>>     EMAIL = [](0x0)
>>     LICENSE = GPL
>>     MODE = async
>>     EDITINPLACE = 0
>>
>> This says that my editor is emacs
>>
>> Also when I try to edit an existing file Octave shuts down (crashes).
>> I do have emacs installed and I can run it from a terminal, but it never
>> shows up from octave.
>>
>> Any Ideas???
>>
>> Doug
> When in the GUI, the editor returned from edit.m is not used.  If you look
> at the GUI preferences it says that %f is replaced by a filename.  Your
> editor is just 'gedit' so it is always going to open a blank file.  I would
> try changing the preference string to "gedit %f".  Still, Octave shouldn't
> have crashed for this.
>
> --Rik

Should the EDITOR field of edit.m be updated to the custom editor
configured in the GUI when in the GUI? It would be for cosmetic reasons
only since it is not used as Rik already said.

How do you try to open the existing file before the crash, with the
menus of the GUI or with edit.m? An annoying issue I can see using
edit.m with configured custom editor is that the GUI editor is shown and
gets focus just before the custom editor opens.

Torsten

Torsten