Re: Build error on Mavericks

From: Daryl Lee
Subject: Re: Build error on Mavericks
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 10:06:54 -0700

> On Nov 15, 2013, at 9:17 AM, Carlo De Falco <address@hidden> wrote:
>

>> On 15 Nov 2013, at 14:15, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>>> On Nov 15, 2013, at 6:47 AM, Daryl Lee wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm back, still trying to get a build of octave-local working.  After
>>> starting from an empty Macports environment and apparently with all the
>>> dependencies finally built, I get the following error in the logfile after
>>> failing on "sudo port install octave-local":
>>>
>>> :info:build libtool: link: /opt/local/bin/g++-mp-4.7 -dynamiclib  -o
>>> .libs/liboctinterp.1.dylib... <<< about 6K of text omitted here for brevity
>>> :info:build Undefined symbols for architecture x86_64:
>>> :info:build   "llvm::verifyModule(llvm::Module const&,
>>> llvm::VerifierFailureAction, std::basic_string<char,
>>> std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >*)", referenced from:
>>> :info:build       tree_jit::optimize(llvm::Function*)      in
>>> libcorefcn.a(corefcn_libcorefcn_la-pt-jit.o)
>>> :info:build   "llvm::raw_fd_ostream::raw_fd_ostream(char const*,
>>> std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >&,
>>> unsigned int)", referenced from:
>>> :info:build       tree_jit::optimize(llvm::Function*)      in
>>> libcorefcn.a(corefcn_libcorefcn_la-pt-jit.o)
>>> :info:build   "llvm::ExecutionEngine::createJIT(llvm::Module*,
>>> std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >*,
>>> llvm::JITMemoryManager*, llvm::CodeGenOpt::Level, bool, llvm::Reloc::Model,
>>> llvm::CodeModel::Model)", referenced from:
>>> :info:build       tree_jit::initialize()      in
>>> libcorefcn.a(corefcn_libcorefcn_la-pt-jit.o)
>>> :info:build ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture x86_64
>>> :info:build collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
>>>
>>> Any ideas where those errors might be coming from?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Daryl Lee
>>
>> Please attached the Portfile you are using for Mac OS 10.9.
>>
>> I've cc'd Carlo, who is now building Octave on Mac OS 10.9 and uses Macports
>> for dependencies.
>>
>> Ben
>
> Ben,
>
> Daryl is using the Portfile I posted on the Macports tracker here:
> http://trac.macports.org/search?q=octave-local
>
> Daryl, I am now also trying to build on OSX and I get quite a few nasty
> problems, if you look at my recent posts on the mailing list you'll see them.

I've been scanning that thread, but I wasn't sure if they were in the context
of a macports build or just a "normal" build.  I've been trying to read through
 the macports documentation to understand better what "port install" really
does.  I'll keep following the list and if I see anything that I think I can
help with, I'll jump in.