[cygwin] silent compile failure

From: CdeMills
Subject: [cygwin] silent compile failure
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2013 07:53:02 -0800 (PST)

Hello,

I compiled octave (from hg) on a machine with a pristine cygwin machine,
where development libs were not installed before. I added the -devel
packages which were detected as missing during the configure stage, and
iterated up to the point where the configure script did not complain at all.

Yet the compilation failed silently. While looking at the output log, I
found

/bin/sh ../libtool  --tag=CXX   --mode=link g++  -Wall -W -Wshadow
-Wold-style-c
ast -Wformat -Wpointer-arith -Wwrite-strings -Wcast-align -Wcast-qual -g -O2
-a
void-version -module -no-undefined      -o dldfcn/__fltk_uigetfile__.la
-rpath /
home/PascalDupuis/usr/lib/octave/3.7.7+
dldfcn/dldfcn___fltk_uigetfile___la-__fl
tk_uigetfile__.lo liboctinterp.la ../liboctave/liboctave.la
-Wl,--enable-auto-im
port -Wl,--enable-runtime-pseudo-reloc -lfltk_gl -lGLU -lGL -lfltk -lXext
-lXft
-lfontconfig -lpthread -lfontconfig -lX11 -lfreetype -lz -lbz2    -lm

*** Warning: linker path does not have real file for library -lXft.
*** you link to this library.  But I can only do this if you have a
*** shared version of the library, which you do not appear to have
*** because I did check the linker path looking for a file starting
*** with libXft and none of the candidates passed a file format test
*** using a file magic. Last file checked:
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-cygwin/4.8.2/.
./../../../lib/libXext.dll.a

*** Warning: libtool could not satisfy all declared inter-library
*** dependencies of module __fltk_uigetfile__.  Therefore, libtool will
create
*** a static module, that should work as long as the dlopening
*** application is linked with the -dlopen flag.
libtool: link: ar cru dldfcn/.libs/__fltk_uigetfile__.a
dldfcn/.libs/dldfcn___fl
tk_uigetfile___la-__fltk_uigetfile__.o
libtool: link: ranlib dldfcn/.libs/__fltk_uigetfile__.a
libtool: link: ( cd "dldfcn/.libs" && rm -f "__fltk_uigetfile__.la" && ln -s
"..
/__fltk_uigetfile__.la" "__fltk_uigetfile__.la" )

Adding the libXft-devel file solved this issue; yet I had to find all files
linked with Xft, removing the object files and restarting the compilation.
The installation stage was successfull up to the point where ./run-octave is
launched. The freshly installed program runs.

Regards

Pascal