Re: rc1 and qt-gnuplot

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: rc1 and qt-gnuplot
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2013 02:36:57 -0600

On 12/05/2013 02:25 AM, Dmitri A. Sergatskov wrote:

On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 2:03 AM, Daniel J Sebald <address@hidden
<mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:

    That's not happening here.  Can you give more detail and try a few
    things?  E.g.,

    What OS are you running on?

fedora 19 x86_64

    Does the --no-gui option when launching octave have the same broken
    pipe issue?

No problem in no-gui octave.

    After changing the graphics toolkit to gnuplot, are you seeing a
    valid process in the "ps" list for gnuplot?

No and I I do not believe I should.
But if I do say

> graphics_toolkit gnuplot
> figure 1
warning: broken pipe

then I get a defunct gnuplot process.

Well, that's a problem. Gnuplot shouldn't be crashing regardless of bogus code sent to, if that were the problem.

(but at least I get an octave prompt and can quit cleanly, if I do
"plot(randn(3))" I have to kill -9 the
octave process)

That's not good, but not the main issue.

Try these commands again, but this time try to redirect what Octave is sending through the pipe to a file with:

  plot(randn(3));
  graphics_toolkit gnuplot;
  drawnow ("x11", "/dev/null", false, "foo.gp");

If you can manage that, take a look at "foo.gp" file and try sending those commands to gnuplot as a standalone program from the command line. If gnuplot is crashing without Octave running. Then it is a gnuplot bug.

I use a self-compile recent cvs version of gnuplot. It has a separate
gnuplot_qt (similar to gnuplot_x11),
so running gnuplot and doing say "plot sin(x)" results in two process
"gnuplot" and "gnuplot_qt".
I am not sure if the older versions were like that as well, or may be
this is a qt4 thing.
E.g. doing the same with  wxt terminal produces only a "gnuplot" process.

The x11 gnuplot terminal has always been that way, and the recent Qt gnuplot terminal was patterned after the x11 auxiliary program. Those are the only two I can recall that have an auxiliary program. (The auxiliary program is analogous to a terminal that accepts commands.)

Dan