Re: Is the 3.8 "release ” official?

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Is the 3.8 "release ” official?
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 16:08:38 -0500

On Mon, 30 Dec 2013 19:15:50 +0000, Carnë Draug wrote:
> On 30 December 2013 17:34, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden> wrote:
>> On Mon, 2013-12-30 at 10:45 -0500, Michael D. Godfrey wrote:
>>
>>> I agree. Announce it has been released.
>>
>> I thought a release announcement would be quite disappointing for most
>> people since most people (yes, most) won't be able to install Octave,
>> and this disappointment would be large enough to overshadow any other
>> achievements that the new release has done.
>>
>> But you guys seem to think that I'm wrong, and that we should announce
>> the release now. I thought we only had one chance to make a good first
>> impression with the new release, but maybe we'll have another chance
>> with 4.0.
>
> You're right that it'd be much better to make the announcement with
> links for installers but how long will we have to wait for that? Also,
> won't most of the subcribers to mailing lists be users that are used
> to the idea of having sources being distributed only, with binaries as
> a separate thing? It would be new users, the ones that are not used to
> it such as prospective new users getting the news from slashdot, that
> will get disappointed but it's too late for that.
>
> Again, if it's it's only a matter of days then I'd say to wait for the
> announcement.

I agree, it would have been better to make an announcement about
availability of both source and binary 3.8.0 releases, but the source
release is effectively out there now, announcement or not. IMHO the
source release should not have been tagged or uploaded if the plan was
to be able to announce binaries that are not yet ready with this
release. Without an announcement, it just looks like someone forgot due
to the holidays.

--
mike