Re: help broken in 3.8.0 ? Missing macros.texi

From: JFC
Subject: Re: help broken in 3.8.0 ? Missing macros.texi
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2013 15:51:16 +0100

<mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:

 >>> Hi all,
 >>> congrats on the 3.8.0 release!
 >>> I just managed to install it on OSX 10.6.8.
 >>> But the help is broken here because the macros.texi file
 >>> is not copied where it should by make install :
 >>> the directory share/octave/3.8.0/etc/ only contains CITATION, NEWS and
test/
 >>> Let me know if more details are needed for debugging this.
 >>> Best, JFC
 >>>

 >> Hi,
 >>
 >> I don't see this behaviour with Octave 3.8.0 on OSX 10.9.1:
 >>
 >> ls /usr/local/octave/3.8.0/share/octave/3.8.0/etc/
 >> CITATION                built-in-docstrings     doc-cache
tests
 >> NEWS                    default-qt-settings     macros.texi
 >

 > Hmmm.  Note that the help works when I test the build ./run-octave so the
texi
 > file is the build tree at the right place, but is not properly copied in the
 > install directory during the install.
 >
 > The relevant message at install time is:
 >
 >  /usr/bin/install -c -m 644 NEWS CITATION
'/Users/mylogin/octave/octave-3.8.0/share/octave/3.8.0/etc'

 > and indeed the octetc_DATA variable in the Makefile is defined as
 >
 > octetc_DATA = \
 >   NEWS \
 >   CITATION
 >
 > and apparently left at that.
 >

 > Could the problem be an unintended side effect of passing
 > the switch --disable-docs to configure ?
 >
 > Best, JF

   That is not unintended if you disable docs you get no help.
c.

Are you sure ?  I thought disable-docs was only about formatting the manual...

Also, in my previous (3.6.2) build, I was passing --disable-docs
but was still able to get help at the octave prompt.

Finally, it is sufficient in 3.8.0 to move the macros.texi file
to the right place in the install directory to get back
the help functionality even when building with --disable-docs
so I do not see the benefit of not installing macros.texi.

Last point: I redid a ./configure without --disable-docs
and I do not see a change to octetc_DATA in the Makefile.
I will rebuild with that and, if successful, will report.

Cheers, JF