Re: [Forge] IO still gives error

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: [Forge] IO still gives error
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2014 13:33:19 +0000

On 7 January 2014 13:03, Juan Pablo Carbajal <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
> I am still running into this error in Ubuntu 13.10, GNU Octave 3.8
>
> octave:1> pkg -forge install io
> 'chk_spreadsheet_support' undefined near line 41 column 16
> error: called from
> '/home/juanpi/.octave/io-2.0.1/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu-api-v49+/PKG_ADD'
> in file
> /home/juanpi/.octave/io-2.0.1/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu-api-v49+/PKG_ADD
> near line 41, column 14
> error: called from:
> error:   /usr/local/share/octave/3.8.0-rc1/m/pkg/private/install.m at
> line 241, column 5
> error:   /usr/local/share/octave/3.8.0-rc1/m/pkg/pkg.m at line 394, column 9
>
> If one install twice then the error disappears, so it seems like a
> load path problem or something of the like.
>
> In the mailing list there were temporal solutions presented, like
> erase io before installing and the such... anyone have a better idea?
> It seems to be a java class problem.

What causes the problem is that the PKG_ADD script of the io package
uses functions from the io package. So when you load a package, the
following happens@

1 - adds the directory with oct files to the path
2 - finds the PKG_ADD file and runs it
3 - the PKG_ADD calls chk_spreadsheet_support which is not in the path yet
4 - fails

When the directory with m files is added first to the path, then there
is no problem. However, it seems that sometimes it happens the other
way around.

Note that the fix for this is not add the directory with m files
always first otherwise you'll have the same problem when PKG_ADD calls
an oct function from the same package.

Carnë