GraphicsMagick linkage error on Mac OS X 10.9

From: Daryl Lee
Subject: GraphicsMagick linkage error on Mac OS X 10.9
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 22:30:25 -0700

I am trying to build on on Mac OS X 10.9 from the Mercurial repository, and run
into linkage errors, starting with:

  "Magick::Image::ping(std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>,
std::allocator<char> > const&)", referenced from:
      F__magick_ping__(octave_value_list const&, int) in
dldfcn___magick_read___la-__magick_read__.o

Since I am running on Mavericks with XCode 5 installed, the default gcc/g++
compilers are actually "clang", which I have not reached a high level of
comfort with, due to differences in the options supported.  So I also tried it
with

  ../configure CC=/usr/local/bin/gcc CXX=/usr/local/bin/g++

to use the compilers I downloaded from http://hpc.sourceforge.net/, and which I
use normally via aliases at the shell prompt and definitions in my own
makefiles.  However, that made no difference.  I was careful to rebuild
GraphicsMagick using the same compilers, so as to keep those libraries in sync.
 But nothing seemed to clear that error.

What might I be overlooking?

--
Daryl Lee
Amateurs train until they get it right; professionals train until they can't