Re: very small packages - merge into general/miscelleneous or move into

From: c.
Subject: Re: very small packages - merge into general/miscelleneous or move into core
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 17:30:59 +0100

On 22 Jan 2014, at 14:09, Marco Atzeri <address@hidden> wrote:

>> One was Avogadro, the other I don't remember. The change in value I do
>> not remember - it doesn't matter however. I am not an expert in whatever
>> domain the constants are used, so I assume that every change might be
>> important to someone working in a specific domain.
>> My thinking was more like: does it make a difference if we continue with
>> the old package - and yes, it did. So out it went.
>>
>>      Thomas
>>

> for details on last change:
>
> http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/pdf/RevModPhysCODATA2010.pdf
>
> The NIST database will be updated every 4 years

I created a new version of the package physicalconstants
which uses an Octave script (rather than python) to parse
database data.

Whith this change it takes just 1 minute to create an updated
version of the package.

As the database is updated every 4 years, we should expect
an update this year, so that will be a good test for this system.

@Carnë I uploaded the new package to svn as I don't know how
to create a new mercurial repository, could you please migrate it
or explain me how to do it myself?

Of course before making a release it would make sense to remove
the function physical_constant from "miscellaneous" and make a new release
of that package as well ...

c.