Re: Octave FAQ update about GPL

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Octave FAQ update about GPL
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2014 15:43:09 -0500

On Thu, 2014-02-06 at 12:19 -0800, fgnievinski wrote:
> I think the Octave FAQ needs a caveat, where it says:
> ñhttp://wiki.octave.org/FAQ#If_I_write_code_using_Octave_do_I_have_to_release_it_under_the_GPL.3F

This part of the Octave FAQ was written in consultation with FSF
lawyers some years go. It originally wasn't part of the wiki, but
distributed along Octave, and we were very careful with the language
we chose for this section. In reality, we should lock this part of the
FAQ, but the mediawiki software does not make it easy to only lock
sections of a page. This part should not be edited without consulting
the FSF. Perhaps we should move it to the main octave.org web pages
and just link to it from the wiki.

If you think we should rewrite this part, please consult with
address@hidden

- Jordi G. H.