Re: [FORGE] Fem-fenics installation fails

From: c.
Subject: Re: [FORGE] Fem-fenics installation fails
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 21:58:09 +0100

On 17 Feb 2014, at 21:27, Juan Pablo Carbajal <address@hidden> wrote:

> So, I went to the sources of msh and the check in configure.ac is
> AC_CHECK_HEADER([dolfin.h],
>  [AC_SUBST(ac_dolfin_cpp_flags,-DHAVE_DOLFIN_H)
> AC_SUBST(ac_dolfin_ld_flags,-ldolfin)],
>  [AC_MSG_WARN([dolfin headers could not be found, som functionalities
> will be disabled, don't worry your package will still be working,
> though.])]
> )
>
> and this doesn't work in my system, though the files are there. I
> wrote a trivial example (that should be added to the ac_check, right?)
> echo "#include<dolfin.h>" > test.cpp
> g++ -c test.cpp -I/usr/include
> Here it finds dolfin.h but it cannot find Eigen/Dense. Looking in my
> system I found it and added
> g++ -c test.cpp -I/usr/include  -I/usr/include/eigen3
> and the program compiles (although I am not sure Eigen/Dense is the
> right one). Clearly I need to indicate these locations in the
> configure of the msh and most problably fem-fenics as well.
>
> How can we fix this?
> @Rik, maybe you know a trick for the configure.ac?

Juan Pablo,

There are two different problems:

1) The test for dolfin.h fails because dolfin.h includes Eigen/Dense and mpi.h
which are
   not in the default includes path

This is easily solved by doing:

export CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/include/eigen3 $(mpicxx -showme:compile)"

2) The dolfin API has changed from release 1.2 to the current release,
   so the way markers for subdomains and boundary cells are assigned in msh and
fem-fenics
   is not compatible with the current release

This was already discussed here:
http://fenicsproject.org/qa/218/assign-meshfunction-meshvaluecollection-to-meshdomain

Marco, maybe you can provide a patch for this?

If not, I can probably try myself but it will take a while because I'll be
quite buisy the next two weeks.

c.