Re: Octave Task List: proof of concept

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Octave Task List: proof of concept
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 09:55:39 -0500

On Thu, 2014-02-20 at 00:14 -0500, Julien Hamilton wrote:

> Having something at a higher level is an interesting approach. Speaking of
> that, how do you guys decide where the development is heading (the
> "vision")?

We don't have an overarching vision, and even if we did, how would you
make sure everyone works on it? I mean, we have several visions: a
better GUI, better binary distribution on Windows and Mac OS X,
implementing classdef... We have no shortage of ideas of what needs to
be done. Indeed, these things are mostly obvious. But this doesn't
help us doing them.

> For the task list my first approach came from the fact that the Task
> Manager on Savannah doesn't seem to be really used and there are
> many tasks described in plain text on the wiki.

So collect the wiki tasks and put them in the task tracker in Savannah?

> >> Is the problem that the Savannah interface is too ugly? Or is
> >> it that not everyone is able to manipulate bugs and tasks in Savannah?
>
> > If either of these is the problem, then it seems to me it would be
> > better to improve savannah rather than inventing something just for
> > Octave.  That way, all projects hosted on savannah would benefit from
> > the improvement, not just us.
>
> Yes this is a good idea. I think I will contact Savannah to see if
> they could use my help.

Savannah is mostly unmaintained. There isn't really anyone to contact.
There's a Python rewrite that's almost complete, if writing code is
what you would like to work on, or help us find a way to hire someone
to finish Savannah.

Wendy Liu did some really good work for us for Agora when she was
working during SOCIS. Maybe we'll get lucky again with really good
work for Savannah.

- Jordi G. H.