Re: GSoC Student : Patches submitted

From: prao
Subject: Re: GSoC Student : Patches submitted
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2014 23:09:38 -0800 (PST)

Juan Pablo Carbajal-2 wrote
> On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 9:42 PM, prao <

> poojarao12@

> > wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I added a few functions to the mapping package and submitted two patches
>> the patch tracker.  I updated the NEWS and INDEX files. This is my first
>> time using mercurial and submitting patches. I tried to be careful but I
>> was
>> hoping someone could take a look at it and critique it. The link to the
>> patches is:
>> https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?8372
>> https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?8371
>>
>> Also, I applied for an account at the patch tracker yesterday. I haven't
>> received the confirmation email yet, so I submitted the patches without
>> an
>> account. I hope that's not a bad practice. Does it usually take more than
>> day to get the account?
>>
>> Thanks in advance!
>>
>> Best,
>> Pooja Rao
>>

>> --
>
> The patches and coding style seems ok to me. Maybe others can comment
> on the commit message.
>
> What I can comment on a little bit is the docstrings. It is useful to
> know not only how to use the function, but also to get a glimpse on
> how the calculation is performed. Is there a established method? Can
> you describe in a couple of sentences what it does?
>
> Besides that, I can't spot major problems. However I am not the
> marksman around here...

Hi Juan,

Thanks for your suggestion. I added some comments in the scripts and
submitted the new diff file under the patch #8372 at
https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?8372. Could you please take a look at it and
let me know if anything needs further fixing?

I noticed that some of us (GSoC students) are submitting the same patches
(adding the same features). Some of the new changes have not been merged
into the official mapping repository yet, so it's hard to figure out what's
already been submitted unless you browse the submission list. It's good for
us newbies to get familiar with the submission process, but is there any
advantage to having multiple patches for the same functions (select the best
perhaps, so better quality??) or is it better to divide and conquer? Just
curious.

Thanks,
Pooja