RE: mxe-octave cross-build errors when building native-gcc

From: John D
Subject: RE: mxe-octave cross-build errors when building native-gcc
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2014 10:00:22 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Philip Nienhuis [mailto:address@hidden
Sent: Friday, March 07, 2014 9:48 AM
To: John D; address@hidden
Cc: 'John W. Eaton'

John D wrote:
> [...]
<snip>

> ----
> I get the same trying to cross compile on my Fedora 20 machine, what
> OS are you using?
> Attached patch makes it compile for me.
> I looks to me that it is trying to pull in some system includes
> instead of the mxe build ones, but I couldn't get it to not do that
> except by compiling with mpc, mprf etc copied into the gcc build as per
the patch.

> ---
> With actual content in the patch (attached)

Just found some time to try that patch. Result:
native-gcc gets (cross-)built fine now,
using mxe-octave's tip of March 6 (today) - b1a7cff2d2a9 / Add octave forge
of-netcdf package (and support files).

Thanks!

 > The other thing needed (on my system as least) has been to copy libgcc.a
to  > the lib folder when making the dist (Not included in this patch) in
order  > for gcc to compile programs when installed.

Could this be the reason for not being able to install packages as reported
e.g., here:
http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/cannot-install-packages-on-octave-3-8-1r
c3-tt4662113.html
?
I did find a libgcc.a in ./lib/gcc/i686-w64-mingw32/4.8.2

==> Here I needed to copy libgcc_s.a from .\lib\gcc\i686-w64-mingw32\lib\
(rather than libgcc.a
from.\lib\gcc\o686-w64-mingw32\4.8.2\) to ./lib to avoid "cannot find
-lgcc_s" errors from ld.
What needs to be patched for that? he nsis installer script?

On a related note, it is better to comment out the OF tsa package line in
src/build_packages.m as long as Alois hasn't fixed the compile flags (see
bug #41635).

BTW I also found out that Octave with OpenBLAS doesn't seem to work well on
some Core i3 CPUs. Last Wednesday I installed Octave-3.8.1-rc4 on a
colleague's WinXP laptop with that CPU, and Octave-gui's opening window (the
cmd32.exe that disappears later during startup) showed repeated messages
along the lines of (IIRC):
"OpenBLAS: ..... AVX instruction missing"
(followed by a very long delay)
Anyway I see that in the latest mxe-octave there's a choice for ref- or
openblas. Nice!

Philip

---

Looks like the same issue - Probably binary dist rules.mk or native-gcc.mk
need to have the copy of the .a file added.
Were you able to build native-gcc as is from mxe-octave? It wont build for
me on Fedora20 without the patch I sent out at the beginning of the week. I
am assuming everyone else isn't having that native-gcc  issue?