Re: GSOC2014 Application: High Precision Arithmetic Computation

From: Ouzounis_Georgios
Subject: Re: GSOC2014 Application: High Precision Arithmetic Computation
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2014 04:41:04 -0700 (PDT)

José Luis García Pallero wrote :
>Your proposal sounds good, Ouzounis. What library you use for SVD, QR,
>etc.? Maybe http://mplapack.sourceforge.net/?

  A rough schedule that will be followed ( not necessarily in this order )
while developing the above algorithms will be :

Step 1 : Check if there is some library based on GMP or MPFR implementing
any of those algorithms and if this can be embedded on Octave.

Step 2 : Study Octave's already implemented for double precision algorithms
and see if they can be re-formed in order to support multiple precision.

Step 3 : Check if there is any Fortran code implementing any of the required
algorithms and if it can be used to add support for multiple precision.

Step 4 : Implementing the algorithm from the scratch. This will be the final
choice, and will be done only if there is no other way to implement an
algorithm.

I will also check other libraries to see if they can be useful. LAPACK will
surely be one of them. I haven't done any studying on them yet but I am
willing to make an extensive search before deciding on what libraries to
use.

Feel free to ask any other questions you might have.

Georgios Ouzounis.