Re: First Time Contributor help

From: Vishal Subbiah
Subject: Re: First Time Contributor help
Date: Thu, 22 May 2014 18:10:22 +0530

Thanks, but I am unable to tell if i can help out based on looking at the projects. Any suggestions?

Regards,
Vishal Subbiah
Department of Metallurgy and Materials Engineering
Second year undergraduate
IIT Madras

On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 4:07 PM, Juan Pablo Carbajal <address@hidden> wrote:
On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 10:05 PM, Vishal Subbiah
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wish to contribute to octave as I have been using it for over a year now
> and find it very useful. I looked through the get-involved link on the
> website but I do not find it very helpful  on how to contribute for the
> first time and seem to be going in circles. Could anyone help me get
> started?
>
> Thanks and Regards,
> Vishal Subbiah
> Department of Metallurgy and Materials Engineering
> Second year undergraduate
> IIT Madras

It is as easy as looking at some project you could help with (ask the
list before starting, people might already be working on it) and code
away!
You can also go through the bugs tracker
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?group=octave
and try to fix something.

Make sure you read the coding style and how to create changesets
https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Contributing-Guidelines.html
http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/file/tip/etc/HACKING
http://wiki.octave.org/Mercurial#Creating_changesets_with_hg
http://wiki.octave.org/Commit_message_guidelines