Re: input validation in C++ internal functions

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: input validation in C++ internal functions
Date: Fri, 23 May 2014 11:59:46 -0400

I agree that Octave should never crash, even for internal functions called incorrectly. But for internal functions, the quality of the error messages is not as critical.

For internal functions that are written in .m files, less error checking is needed because even for invalid scripting code, Octave shouldn't be crashing, though the error messages might be obscure. Also, error checking in a small internal .m file function could significantly degrade performance. That's not as big a problem in C++.

Ideally, all warnings and errors would have IDs associated with them so that you can control them.

If we want a comprehensive list of all error and warning IDs, is it possible to automate that process? If not, then I think it would be a big maintenance problem.

Octave error and warning IDs should follow the format  Octave:foo-bar.

Should we automatically convert between known Matlab IDs that are frequently used and the corresponding Octave IDs when they exist?