Re: Octave on Android

From: corbinlc
Subject: Re: Octave on Android
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2014 08:33:05 -0700 (PDT)

I am on the mailing list, but seldom read it.  I just saw this and no one
ever informed me of this discussion (sadly).  I think your characterization
of me and my behavior is incorrect and insulting.  Regardless, let me
explain...
Android only has "paid" or "free" apps.  Android does not support a
pay-what-you-want system.  So, I rolled my own.  I then described that a
payment was required in the description, but also denoted in the manifest
that this app uses the in-app billing permission.  This means that if you
either a) read the description of the app or b) read what is displayed on
your device when installing "this app uses in-app billing", you would not be
surprised.
That feels pretty honest. It is also consistent with how Android apps use
in-app billing.  In the future, you should understand what you are
installing on your device.  Let me give an example...
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rovio.gold
Yes, angry birds.  Notice it says "Free", but says on the page "Offers
in-app puschases."  This is how Octave showed up too.  This also gets
displayed at install time.  Now you know whether you might have to pay
something to unlock part or all of an app.
All that said, I removed the requirement to pay a couple of weeks ago.  I
will explain that decision in a separate email describing recent changes.
Thanks,
Corbin