Re: GUI crash exit 11 again

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: GUI crash exit 11 again
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2014 14:13:20 -0400

On Fri, 2014-07-04 at 00:45 -0700, martine1212 wrote:
> This seems to be a persistent problem...
> Previous version did not crash, same system, same everything..
> Opensuse 12.3

What previous version? What current version of Octave are you using?
What versions of Octave's dependencies are you using?

> octave --force-gui
>
> After loading a random .m file... and star typing... the GUI closes...
>
> octave exited with signal 11

Once you determine this bug has not been reported, please report it
yourself:

   https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?func=additem&group=octave

> There are multiples post of different years, but the bug is still
> going on. Any way to find out what is missing or where it is
> crashing??

According to Unix standards, "signal 11" is just a segmentation fault.
It's not a single bug that we haven't fixed, it's just a generic case
of undefined behaviour. Since you're using the experimental GUI and
you're posting on the Octave maintainers' list, this suggests that you
want to participate in Octave development. In order to do this, please
rebuild Octave with debug symbols and produce a stack trace:

    http://wiki.octave.org/Debugging_Octave

You will have to modify the instructions somewhat in order to attach
gdb to the GUI process. Essentially, instead of trying to start gdb
from run-octave, start gdb and from the gdb prompt do

    gdb program PID

where PID is the process ID of the GUI process.

- Jordi G. H.