Re: Compiling Octave on WinXP32bit for Win764bit

From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA
Subject: Re: Compiling Octave on WinXP32bit for Win764bit
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2014 10:25:06 +0900 (JST)

> From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso

> To: dkeck
> Cc: octave-maintainers
> Date: 2014/7/24, Thu 06:14
> Subject: Re: Compiling Octave on WinXP32bit for Win764bit
>
> On Wed, 2014-07-23 at 12:03 -0700, dkeck wrote:
>>  How did you (Michael Goffioul) create this archive?
>
> My understanding is that it is much more difficult to compile this
> way. Windows is a very hostile OS for free development. Given the
> amount of people who are able to compile MXE Octave (I count at least
> five in recent mailing list history) vs the amount of people who have
> been able to replicate Michael's build (I count zero), it's seems
> it's
> actually much easier to cross-compile Octave from GNU/Linux into
> Windows.
>
> Isn't this a great opportunity for you to install a GNU/Linux
> (virtual?) machine and see how the almost impossible becomes feasible?

I am now trying to build octave on windows 7 using mxe-build using
MinGW+ Msys tool chain.
Some dependencies are not able to built successfully but octave itself was able
to be built.

I will report all build will be done well.

BTW, about the title of this thread

"Compiling Octave on WinXP32bit for Win764bit"

What do you want do?
Do you want to build 64bit binary on 32bit XP?
Why do you want to do it?

It is  better to try to build on windows 7 directly.
Windows XP is not suitable octave build because it is horribly slow.

Tatsuto