Re: inpolyeder

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: inpolyeder
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2014 18:31:03 +0100

On 2 September 2014 20:17, Cumbiambero <address@hidden> wrote:
> I would like to share my inpolyeder function that is used to tell if a point
> is inside, on or outside of a given polyeder, similar to the inpolygon
> function but for 3 dimensions.
>
> My sourceforge-username is: cumbiambero

Hi

I'm guessing you are trying to contribute the function to the Octave
Forge geometry package? We no longer give people commit access to the
Octave Forge repositories (except after many contributions). We have
moved from svn to mercurial which is a distributed version control
system. This means you can clone the repository to your system, commit
to it and either:

1) send us changesets that we can import and push to our repositories;
2) host your clone somewhere and we can pull your changes from there.

Either way, you can note them on the Octave patch tracker [1].

But rather than make another function that is very similar to the
existing one for cases when there's another dimension, why not extend
the current one? If inpolygon() is currently:

  inpolygon (X, Y, xv, yv)

does

  inpolygon (X, Y, Z, xv, yv, zv)

make any sense? And If you're extending it so it handles one more
dimension, why not make it for any number of dimensions? I've seen it
happen many times in image processing, and people end up with things
such as erode, erode3d, erode3dtime, erode5d, etc, and it's all the
same thing if they had just made it for N dimensions. Does

  inpolygon (X, Y, Z, ..., N, xv, yv, zv, ... nv)

make any sense?

Carnë

[1] https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?func=additem&group=octave