Re: Octsympy-0.1.0, symbolic package

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: Octsympy-0.1.0, symbolic package
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2014 05:55:28 -0700 (PDT)

Colin Macdonald wrote
> On 25/09/14 21:33, Philip Nienhuis wrote:
>> The first test is always to get stuff properly installed. That step fails
>> ;-(
>>
>> Are there any installation instructions for the Windows-0.1.0 version
>> that
>> dummies as myself can follow?
>
> Sorry to hear that!  I'm not much of a windows dev (I only have access
> to a locked-down system at work).  So I'm a dummy as well.
>
> I started this wiki page:
>
> https://github.com/cbm755/octsympy/wiki/Notes-on-Windows-installation
>
> where I put some of my thoughts.
>
> Perhaps you can post what you've tried and what happened there?

Well even after having used Octave for 14 years I didn't know that OF
packages could be zipped rather than .tar.gz-'ed. <blush>

Right, with that misconception out of the way:

Octave-3.9.0+ (32-bit)
-----------------------

>> cd c:/tmp
>> pkg install -verbose octsympy-windows-0.1.0.zip
warning: creating installation directory
C:\Octave\Octave-3.9.0+-4.1.0+\share\octave\packages
warning: called from
    install at line 30 column 5
    pkg at line 394 column 9
mkdir (C:\Users\Philip\AppData\Local\Temp\oct-39)
untar (octsympy-windows-0.1.0.zip,
C:\Users\Philip\AppData\Local\Temp\oct-39)
For information about changes from previous versions of the octsympy
package, run 'news octsympy'.
>> pkg load octsympy
>> pkg list
Package Name  | Version | Installation directory
--------------+---------+-----------------------
    octsympy *|   0.1.0 | ...\share\octave\packages\octsympy-0.1.0
>> syms x
OctSymPy v0.1.0: this is free software without warranty, see source.
Initializing communication with SymPy using a popen2() pipe.
Detected a Windows system: using "mydbpy.bat" to workaround Octave bug
Python started: some output may appear before your prompt returns.
Technical details: fin = 4, fout = 3, pid = 3968.

Waiting......
ipc_popen2: SymPy communication channel established

.... So far, so good ......

Octave-3.8.2 64-bit:
--------------------
>> more off
>> cd c:/tmp
>> pkg install -verbose octsympy-windows-0.1.0.zip
mkdir (C:\Users\Philip\AppData\Local\Temp\oct-39)
untar (octsympy-windows-0.1.0.zip,
C:\Users\Philip\AppData\Local\Temp\oct-39)
For information about changes from previous versions of the octsympy
package, run 'news octsympy'.
>> pkg load octsympy
>> syms x
OctSymPy v0.1.0: this is free software without warranty, see source.
Initializing communication with SymPy using a popen2() pipe.
Detected a Windows system: using "mydbpy.bat" to workaround Octave bug
Python started: some output may appear before your prompt returns.
Technical details: fin = 4, fout = 3, pid = 4724.

Waiting.....
ipc_popen2: SymPy communication channel established
>  test bernoulli
PASSES 3 out of 3 tests
>> test octsympy_tests
  ***** xtest
 % Issue #8: array construction when row is only doubles
 % fails on: Octave 3.6.4, 3.8.1, hg tip July 2014.
 % works on: Matlab
 try
   A = [sym(0) 1; 2 3];
   failed = false;
 catch
   failed = true;
 end
 assert (~failed)
 assert (isequal(A, [1 2; 3 4]))
!!!!! known failure
assert (!failed) failed
  ***** xtest
 % fails to match SMT (although true here is certainly reasonable)
 syms x
 e = x == x;
 assert (strcmp (strtrim(disp(e, 'flat')), 'x == x'))
!!!!! known failure
assert (strcmp (strtrim (disp (e, 'flat')), 'x == x')) failed
PASSES 13 out of 13 tests (2 expected failures)

...so it seems to start up & work properly.

Thank you very much !

Philip