Re: Sorting complex values

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Sorting complex values
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2014 15:25:16 -0400

On Sep 27, 2014, at 2:43 PM, Daniel J Sebald <address@hidden> wrote:

> The one thing that concerns me a bit is that -1 - 0i produces an angle of -pi.

I'm confident this behavior is correct. There is a branch along the negative
real axis ... i.e. a phase of +pi and -pi are both correct, but only one of
them is proper by IEEE standards.  To determine the phase it is necessary to
determine if the imaginary part is positive or negative.  The default is to
assume the imaginary part is positive. In the case, of 1 - 0i, the default has
been over-ridden.

Ben