Re: A case for C++11 in Octave

From: c.
Subject: Re: A case for C++11 in Octave
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 11:31:34 +0100

On 16 Nov 2014, at 15:53, Carnë Draug <address@hidden> wrote:

> But if we agree that people locked on oldstable versions (or veryoldstable
> in the case of RHEL and CentOS 5) are capable people, and that gcc 4.7
> is the best that they can build there, can we go with features available
> at least on that version?

While administrators of such old and supposedly "stable" systems are usually
indeed very capable they are also usually VERY conservative as they have to
work with extremely strict internal policy rules.

In the case of the particular system I was referring to, on that one gcc 4.7
is indeed available, so compiling Octave with that version would be in
principle possible ...

Except that most, if not all, libraries on which Octave depends on are NOT
built with
that compiler, mostly they are not even built with gcc, so making them work
together is
a nightmare ...

To sum up, I don't want you to stop from using C++11 to solve my personal
problem,
I am just pointing out that there is a non-negligible share of users out there
that
may get into trouble if we break compatibility with older compilers

In my experience many of such users will end up with solutions like sticking to
Octave 3.x
until the default system compiler supports all features required by 4.x to
build.

c.