Re: Documentation for the GUI

From: Torsten
Subject: Re: Documentation for the GUI
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2015 07:03:43 +0100

On 05.02.2015 06:44, Michael Godfrey wrote:

> On 02/05/2015 12:10 AM, Daniel J Sebald wrote:
>>>
>>> There is none.
>>>
>>> Can you help us write it?
>>
>> Something to consider:  Qt has a facility called Qt-Assistant for
>> help.  It's very similar to what is called a HelpBook in Windows.
>> (That very familiar layout with the table of contents on the left side
>> for quick access, also searching.  Even Acrobat Reader uses that look
>> and feel.) I just used Qt-Assistant for the gnuplot Qt terminal.  The
>> Octave help code would need to be translated to the Qt-Assistant
>> format and bundled, but it doesn't prove too difficult.  There are a
>> few commands for Qt code to interact with the Qt-Assistant, say,
>> jumping to certain locations in help as directed by the code in the
>> GUI.  Just letting you know that's an option.
>>
>> Dan
> Since as it is now, you can bring up pages of the manual within the GUI
> why not just update
> the Manual, which has to be done anyhow?
>
> Michael

I have been looking for a tool that can automatically convert the octave
documentation (texinfo or html) into a Qt help project (.qhp) with index
etc. since some time but wasn't successful so far. Sure we can translate
it manually but I think we need this to be done automatically during the
build process. Maybe I am missing something and it is not that complicated.

Torsten