Re: Documentation in the GUI

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: Documentation in the GUI
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2015 15:02:51 -0600

On 02/06/2015 10:55 AM, Rik wrote:
On 02/05/2015 09:00 AM, address@hidden wrote:
Re: Documentation for the GUI
From:
Daniel J Sebald <address@hidden>
Date:
02/04/2015 10:19 PM

To:
Torsten <address@hidden>
CC:
address@hidden

Message:
1

On 02/05/2015 12:03 AM, Torsten wrote:
On 05.02.2015 06:44, Michael Godfrey wrote:

On 02/05/2015 12:10 AM, Daniel J Sebald wrote:
On 02/02/2015 09:14 AM, Jordi GutiƩrrez Hermoso wrote:
On Sat, 2015-01-31 at 19:17 +1100, Svetlana Tkachenko wrote:
As the intent is to release the GUI to users at a point, where is
the current documentation for it?

There is none.

Can you help us write it?

Something to consider:  Qt has a facility called Qt-Assistant for
help.  It's very similar to what is called a HelpBook in Windows.
(That very familiar layout with the table of contents on the left side
for quick access, also searching.  Even Acrobat Reader uses that look
and feel.) I just used Qt-Assistant for the gnuplot Qt terminal.  The
Octave help code would need to be translated to the Qt-Assistant
format and bundled, but it doesn't prove too difficult.  There are a
few commands for Qt code to interact with the Qt-Assistant, say,
jumping to certain locations in help as directed by the code in the
GUI.  Just letting you know that's an option.

Dan
Since as it is now, you can bring up pages of the manual within the GUI
why not just update
the Manual, which has to be done anyhow?

Michael

I have been looking for a tool that can automatically convert the octave
documentation (texinfo or html) into a Qt help project (.qhp) with index
etc. since some time but wasn't successful so far. Sure we can translate
it manually but I think we need this to be done automatically during the
build process. Maybe I am missing something and it is not that
complicated.

I think if one looks at the contents of the HTML documentation,
they'll see that there probably already is a quasi-organization based
upon the HTML formatting and maybe in Octave's case a numbering system
to go along with that.  It's probably not too difficult to write
something that runs through the hierarchy, beginning with

doc/liboctave/liboctave.html/index.html

searching for link references.  Could even use an octave script to
make it a little easier.

But you're right.  An existing utility would make life easier.  I
can't recall seeing one.

Dan

I'm quite proficient in Perl and if the input/output formats are not too
different then it is an easy task to write up a protocol converter.

Larger question, is this what we want to do?  Move all documentation in
the GUI over to Qt-Assistant?

No strong opinion one way or another here. The only thing I'd say is that the documentation window currently fills up quickly with tabs if browsing through the HTML help.

Dan